PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAM Gotcha!
Thread: NOTAM Gotcha!
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2021, 02:33
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamley
With respect; Pilots are required by law to check NOTAMs. If someone doesn’t know that they shouldn’t hold a licence. Likewise if they dont know how to check NOTAMs.

These days you can retrieve NOTAMs via NAIPS smartphone app in literally seconds. If you are out of range you should understand your responsibility and find a landline etc

There is always all this talk of ‘kids these days’ but the guy who broke his aeroplane on a closed runway didn’t check the NOTAMs.

And yes NOTAMs are presented with the most important at the top. In my recent experience it is very very easy to check important operational info via NOTAM.

Maybe these old blokes are too busy taking ‘selfies’ or chatting on ‘Instagram’ or posting on ‘the Facebook’ and they forget to check NOTAMs lol
I guess safety investigations that look at the problems with the system that contributed to the occurrence happening are also stupid and not required?

There is a massive issue with the NOTAM system worldwide, too many irrelevant ones that overshadow the very important ones. Why on earth do I need to know about a tree that infringes the splay by 3ft 2.5kms away? What difference is that going to make? If it affects my take off performance, my performance department is going to do something about it (maybe they need a separate system that publishes all those types of things for anyone who needs them), but its relevance on a day to day operation is not worth considering.

Get back to Instagram buddy.