PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-3
Thread: Southend-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 18:38
DC3 Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn’t agree more with your views on easyjet. There are so many who will keep posting that they couldn’t wait to end their presence at the airport ignoring the fact they could have shaken hands and walked away after 5 years and missing the 4th aircraft that arrived late on.

If you choose to believe Andrew Tinkler, the sole reason easyjet left was because of his successor, Warwick Brady. It’s not so difficult to imagine that Brady, emboldened by bringing Ryanair in, was playing hardball with easyjet about remaining at the airport after the 10 year deal expired. Maybe a combination of this and the real and perceived threat from Ryanair (no doubt with their shiny new deal giving them the upper hand) meant that regardless of Covid they had no intention of being around for much longer.

But now it’s a level playing field again. Whoever gets in first will get a fresh deal on highly attractive terms or they simply won’t come.

But I can’t see either of the big 3 in any hurry whatsoever to create a base at SEN.

Having said that I definitely agree that easyjet would be the most likely to return eventually, but we are still talking long odds.

Last edited by DC3 Dave; 3rd Nov 2021 at 19:13.