PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 12:43
alfaman

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonzarno
alfaman

Please read what I have now written in three separate posts.

FTAD (and please excuse my use of caps, no offence is intended! THEY ARE FOR EMPHASIS ONLY)

I AM NOT SAYING THAT A GREY CHARTER IS AS SAFE AS A PROPERLY CHARTERED AND FLOWN AIRCRAFT
I did thanks, & no offence taken, but nowhere have I said your view is in support of grey charters. My point relates to the risks of private vs commercial. If I've understood you correctly, your point seems to be that the same circumstances with pilots of different qualification level would meet the same fate: but different qualification directly relates to whether paid or not, hence my reference to the data. Competence isn't being used here as a term to describe whether one is a fantastic flyer or not: it means the individual has had their professional skills assessed as meeting or exceeding a set standard.
ALL I am saying is that a flight undertaken by ANY pilot is neither safer nor less safe PURELY AS A RESULT of whether the pilot is being paid or not.

It is the same aircraft, whether safe or unsafe, the same pilot, whether competent or not, with the same NON-CPL (i.e. PPL or PPL/IR) qualification, flying in the same bit of sky, in good weather or bad, at the same time and subject to the same ADM considerations as discussed in my earlier post.

In the one case the pilot is being paid (illegally!) and in the other he / she is not. That is the only difference.
My point is that a) that ain't necessarily the case, because b) the qualification may well mean the aircraft should never be in that same circumstance, because c) the qualified pilot should know better than to ever put it there - by dint of the skills demonstrated by their qualifications. Even if by some quirk of fate, they do find themselves in that same piece of sky, & fate decides to be a b!tch, then the qualified pilot has been trained & assessed to be able to handle that situation effectively, & successfully. That's not to say a PPL/PPL/IR wouldn't have a successful outcome, just that the odds are significantly less, & perhaps rely more on luck than judgement - that is the difference.