PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat New Zealand prospects
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 04:30
Massey058

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry OP, there's some seriously bad reckons here but pilots can often be a cosseted and unrealistic bunch as I'm sure you well know.

It's true an airline job is almost certainly a no-go. At Air New Zealand on the turboprop fleet pretty much everyone will be back early in the new year and then they'll have to start calling on those furloughed and redundant from the jet fleet.

That said it's not outside of the realm of possibilities that a simulator instructor gig could be possible. Aside from the seat changes afflicting the jet fleet there will be a lot of turboprop training as things return to normal and it has in the past been an area where people opportunities have arisen. Given the new world realities maybe still an outside chance, but something to consider looking at.

I grew up working class, worked overseas for 8 years and have a good spot on a seniority list as a Turboprop captain. I have a good contract and thanks to working overseas was able to buy a house in Auckland. Are there challenges? Yeah, sure. But the overly vocal right-wing trolls and anti-vaxxers while loud are a tiny minority and on balance it's a great country to be. Which doesn't mean it's all milk and honey as some will read it.