PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 21:05
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonzarno
… if I fly friends for free on my PPL/IR it doesn’t make me or them any safer than if I was charging them for the flight: same pilot, same aircraft, same risks. FTAOD that’s not intended as any kind of defence for grey charters!
Think of this as a possible analogy: no NHS exists. 100% private medicine

You need your appendix removed (job offer in Antarctica).

Do I go to a qualified surgeon for a straightforward operation, or go with a failed medical student (Ibbotson failed to complete his CPL groundschool course) to performs surgery for half the price. The failed medical student had performed similar operations: they were essentially successful although there had been some post operative complications (CAA correspondence to ac owner)in the past.

So far as your friends are concerned they go flying with you in the full knowledge (hopefully?) you are not a professional pilot who is subject to jumping through the prescribed hoops every 6 monthly. They weigh up that ‘risk’ and make a decision. As statistically small as it might be, a sudden loss of power [Engine fail of the one engine just after lift off] on a single pilot multi engined piston will invariably prove fatal. Loss of Control.
It would require a serious level of skill given the sudden reduction (90%) in Performance. This critical situation is unlikely to be practiced.

I didn’t fully appreciate the serious reduction in performance until I started undertaking C of A renewal flight tests on the Seneca 3 at PIK last century. The single engine 5 minute climb sequence certainly opened my eyes as to just what a loss of power just after rotation would involve. You need to be mentally prepared on every launch.