PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 3.1
Thread: Virgin 3.1
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 14:08
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by C441
Looks as though savings from EA 'adjustments' are going to a good cause.

Margin Call - The Australian
At least they made some savings. The previous management who the media fawned over ceaselessly, took years to sign the EBAs they instigated and just about every one resulting in ZERO productivity gain and increased costs. But they'll all go on to their life-long gravy train of board seats on various companies.

I think Scurrah was probably on the right path but unfortunately his predecessor had set fire to the house and it burned down once PS entered - the only solution was someone like Bain to come in and it was always going to get ugly. But my understanding is that Jayne has virtually cleaned out ALL but one previous executive (and he was probably only kept so there was someone who knew where the bodies were buried) and to my mind, that sort of clean out was LONG, LONG overdue.

The company's previous management was led by a narcissist who thought his sh-t didn't stink but presided over billions in expenditure and zero profit in 10 years and a management made up largely of yes people and more bloody 'advisors' and 'leaders' of this and that than you could poke a stick at, all like a flock of seagulls fighting for a hot chip.

I note the airline is still operating despite losing all those 'essential' advisors at every level. Most of them were virtually straight out of high school and many functionally illiterate, writing garbage such as thinking the plural of aircraft is 'aircrafts' and working the regulation 53 weasel words into every sentence 'reaching out' and the rest of the vomit inducing rubbish. 9/10ths of them would struggle to articulate or recognise the difference between a 737 and an A320. The company was an utter mess and beset with archaic rules that thought it was OK for a CEO to sit in J/Class but not a Pilot, paxing across the country to operate the return sector with 200 people onboard.

The Bain era is probably an essential 'cleansing' that had to happen for the company to have any chance to reset.