PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do-eezy flying
Thread: Do-eezy flying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 11:52
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
While it may mean a less complex pilot to aircraft interface, as long as that app is not able to interpret the weather, avoid other aircraft and obstacles, do the RT, deal with strange requests from ATC, sort out the emergencies, carry out the inflight decision making and overall, act like a responsible human being, I don't see it catching on anytime soon.
Thinking about it as an "app" is a mistake. It's a full-blown, fly-by-wire aircraft control system.

From a professional pilot point of view it might have been a mistake on their part to host this initial demonstrator on an iPad and claim that "anybody can fly". On the other hand, it might have been genius from a capitalization point of view. Combining the ubiquitous, familiar and comfortable (comforting?) iPad with an "anybody can fly" theme seems to be just thing based on their capitalization performance to date.

Certainly they know that not just "anybody" can fly, but to admit that would be to hurt their drive for further investors. Similarly, pretty much anybody who's flown with an iPad has probably had it overheat in the cockpit at least once. These Skyryse folks seem pretty smart. It doesn't seem likely the UI will wind up on an iPad in production.

P.S. I've got no skin in this game. I can't afford to invest (probably why they are not targeting pilots as investors ) and I won't be able to afford to install it in my helicopter. But I do think it is the future.

P.P.S. good on Skyryse for going after "real" aircraft with this. It would have been a shame to see them waste their efforts on electric powered VTOL "toys".