PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus oldy now a 737 newby………help!
Old 1st Nov 2021, 14:27
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
Boeing guidance is the same. If windshear is confirmed, then you should delay takeoff or discontinue the approach (FCOM SP 16 has some good stuff in it). However if windshear is only suspected, you can improve aircraft's performance by rotating at the performance-limited Vr (which can be up to 20kts higher than normal Vr), to give you better performance in case that you actually end up in a windshear.
Yes its an interesting dance that both manufacturers play and most airlines join in. “Windshear bad but just in case, here are some tricks that may help.” I guess during the conversion we are presently conducting my annoyance is with the negative training aspect of the windshear event, too much gung ho and not enough pause……

track up is a customer option, that can be only changed by the airline. Personally, I never look at the compass rose below the PFD, and track up is by far superior for most phases of flying, with the odd exception of transitioning to visual part of the landing with high crosswinds, where the runway on the ND will appear straight ahead rather that left/right.
I am rather agnostic about track up versus heading up and am trying to embrace the concept. Its just the transition that is causing the headache. A careers worth of muscle memory dropping my eyes from the PFD straight down to the track diamond to confirm its sitting on the Localiser dagger but the rose on the 737 does not indicate actual current track! Practice I guess.

Originally Posted by rudestuff
The company VNAV procedure is to set airfield elevation in the MCP, and only set the go around altitude DURING the go around?? What else does the landing checklist miss out?
This is correct.

The altitude set in the MCP window is temporary, it just needs to be something lower than where you are - most operators pick MDA rounded down. You should never actually reach it. Once you're 300' below missed approach altitude you can reset the missed approach altitude and VNAV will ignore it.
That makes sense to me. Even at this early phase of flying the 737 I can see little value in setting the MCP to field elevation, its not offering any protection at all.

I'd love to see how that works with very low MAAs, such as 1500ft in BCN or 2000ft in the Netherlands.
Well this is the problem we are having. I have no doubt the missed approach will become more natural with time but at the moment, both myself and my sim buddy are struggling to get all the (uneccesary) calls out PLUS rememebring to ask for the missed approach altitude to be set particularly when all of our go arounds have been to a 2000’ level off along with setting GA thrust manually with an autopilot that kicks off when the TOGA buttons are pressed! Missed approach in this plane is not my favorite past time right now….

Thanks all for the feedback, very interesting discussion from some clearly experienced and thoughtful drivers.

There are some more questions I thought I would throw around.
  1. Our procedure is to manually deploy the speedbrake on touchdown despite the fact that its armed. I have been constantly critiqued for not getting to it fast enough and letting it deploy automatically. I dont miss it on purpose, I am just not fast enough yet. However, it appears to deploy very quickly and I am unsure why we need to race our hand down to deploy it manually. Is there a history of auto failure on the speedbrake?
  1. Not so much 737 related but more generic a question. Our procedure is to call V1 5 knots early to cater for the “delay in recognition”. I have crossed this bridge before on the Airbus in my previous airline where the same procedure was employed. My issue is two fold. Firstly, they will not pin the automation to auto call V1 because it cant be programmed to call 5 knots early. Second, the V1 calculation is designed to cater for the delay in recognition. I have raised this before on pprune and saw some interesting answers but its one that has me intrigued. Can the Boeing be programmed to auto call out V1?
Cheers all and thanks for taking the time.