PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Pilot held on Drink allegations
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2003, 16:57
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firstly no comment on this particular case since innocent until proved guilty and as far as the press are concerned I stopped buying/reading the newspapers over six months ago and do not watch the TV or listen to radio news!

I am now employed in the Railway Industry (because I cannot currently get a job in aviation but that is another story). Right from the outset at our induction much education and stress was placed on the Drugs/Drinks Rules and that if anyone was caught we would be offered the door. I can expect to be randomly checked at ANY time and checks are automatic following any incident or accident.

I cannot think of a reason why aviation should be excluded from this type of check/control. This would, of course, include all involved - flight crew, Air Traffic, Ground Staff etc. If it's good for other transport industries why cannot aviation be the same.

I am NOT saying that there is a culture of alcohol abuse in aviation - my personal experience is that aircrew are very sensible and obey the rules but in the current media frenzy pilots have to be seen as whiter than white. Also, as has been said above, there are other issues which are far more pressing from a flight safety point of view, fatigue FTL etc.

Finally, employers should be more proactive about teaching pilots stress management techniques and also providing recreational facilities whilst down route - such things as free membership of the local health club come to mind. I suppose the beancounters would baulk at such a crazy suggestion but they would, wouldn't they?