PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAE Oxford
Thread: CAE Oxford
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2021, 14:12
Uplinker

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
There was a time when the modular route was frowned upon by potential employers, who wanted to see a fully integrated CAA approved full time ATPL course, at somewhere such as OATS.

Did my ATPL there. A very well run school at the time - I've still got all my OATS course files and notes. Thoroughly enjoyed my 18 months there. A couple of instructors forgot that you were the customer and were paying their wages. Those tried to behave as if they were still in the forces and we were all squaddies, or the airborne equivalent, to be shouted at.

We were told to discuss all aircraft defects when signing back in before completing the tech logs. I forgot this one day and innocently put a nearly bald tyre in the tech log. Lots of harrumphing and stoney expressions on the instructor's faces, but they couldn't actually bollock me - the tyre was nearly bald - and I noticed that it was changed later that day !

I had 15 minutes of paid-for twin flying left over after passing my course, and they said they would credit me this back. Well, actually, I would like to fly it off and do a circuit solo in a twin, says I. Oh christ they said........errm.....all right then, if you really must. I was only allowed to do it with my instructor watching in the tower !!

A great bunch of professional people and characters, both ground-school and airborne. A huge shame to see this facility brought to its knees by selfish idiots who just want profits above all else - quality goes out of the window. What is wrong with some people?