PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2021, 12:59
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Some airline and Tour Operator integration would be a huge start for certainly the BA routes.

I do note that TUI took seats this summer from BA on the PMI flight for Mallorca Package Holidays (not sure if that was an allocation, or just buying in ad-hoc) as TUI had long cancelled it's own summer series from SOU to PMI, IBZ and MAH using Volotea charters.
TUI's charters SOU-PMI was, prev-covid, for a twice weekly A319, 150 seats.

If BA and TUI crunch numbers amicably (with big boys pants on) then TUI can easily fill a sizeable allocation to any of those destinations;
plus, TUI could also offer holidays to the Algarve (FAO) and Costa del Sol (AGP) using the BA SOU flights.
I do not think for one moment that it messes with TUI's BOH or EXT series - SOU has enough catchment of it's own.

Mykonos is very niche, and does really well from LCY (and LHR BA mainline) even in Club Europe cabins, but for TUI accommodation there is way too expensive for TUI to try to sell it as a package; even TUI's own LGW and MAN-JMK series' was dropped yonks ago.
Easy Jet have a huge JMK market from LGW and LTN, along with Santorini too.
Santorini also does really well for BACF and BA from both LCY and LHR, also with TUI flying from LGW and BRS with a weekly TUI 757 or 737M-8.

I think Corfu from SOU would fare much better from SOU than JMK ever can.
There are mass and upmarket niche and mainstream Greek Tour Operators that feature family and also high-end villa and hotel holidays in Corfu and Paxos and SOU is well placed as an alternative to the LON or BRS airports.

It has to be said that the Skiathos series from SOU was pathetic in 2018, again due to no Tour Operator integrations which confounds my feelings about SOU and the way now to go forward.
SOU-JSI with an A319 was canned in 2019 with 2000 seats sold...Was that true?

One route sorely missing from SOU is Verona, it was really popular with Inghams and Crystal Holidays selling Lake and Mountains hotel packages, and coach tours.
Inghams used to take whole plane allocations on a WEDS and SAT with Flybe.
Salzburg could do well too, again this has a WED and SAT turn round day for Tour Operators to Austria's Tyrol.
BACF's aircraft are sized perfectly for these two routes and also Corfu.

If anyone wants to employ me (sic) haha lol I really could get the Tour Operators on-board, but seriously though, [i][b]no one seems to be doing it.
Folk are gagging to book but need to be aware of what's on offer and what/where can be offered from SOU.
Travel Agents and Tour Operators must be on-board.

Domestic routes out of SOU have been hard and slow so far to gain momentum again, as is AMS FRA DUB and CDG - so maybe the Sun and Lakes leisure markets is the way to go.

Best all for a good weekend - the last one of the historic summer holiday charter series season.

Last edited by rog747; 30th Oct 2021 at 13:23. Reason: lots to add sorry