PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 30th Oct 2021, 10:40
Timmy Tomkins

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by biscuit74
'pilotmike' and 'katamarino' - I entirely agree with your comments with respect to the Commercial Pilot Licence and the testing, training and extra discipline required. I am an experienced private pilot; my partner, also originally a private pilot, became a CPL holder several years ago, The style and professionalism of her flying impresses me, and gives me confidence in her capability and judgement. I still have more flying hours than she has, in a wider variety of aircraft and circumstances, but I'd rate her flying judgement over mine any day. The careful professional way she prepares for sorties - her commercial work is not airline flying - is a pleasure to watch.

I wondered beforehand whether a CPL would really make any difference - it most certainly does. It is in my view a significant step up and beyond the PPL level, professional though I try to be in my approach.
That sums it up well in my view but also let us add Currency. She does this for a living and so like most pro pilots is current and famililar with dealing with the constantly varying conditions that we meet in commercial aviation. However capable, most PPLs are not. As Ibbotson was not in this instance.