PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAT = "aircraft altitude above TDZE"...or DA/MDA?
Old 29th Oct 2021, 23:14
CA_flyer12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep

Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
UNITED STATES STANDARD FOR
REQUIRED NAVIGATION PERFORMANCE
(RNP) APPROACH PROCEDURES WITH
SPECIAL AIRCRAFT AND AIRCREW
AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED (SAAAR)

1.4.13 Height Above Touchdown (HAT).
The HAT is the height of the DA above the highest point in the first 3,000 ft of the landing runway (touchdown zone elevation). See figure 1-5

This is the official wording and therefore the definition. If your company wants to add to its SOPS, as it sees fit, then it should find its own term to describe its own standard. These things are there for a purpose and should not be confused. If you haven't done so already, show him the above document.
Dude I did. I showed them screenshots of the FAA/AIM definition of HAT. I gave them the VDP formula. I gave them the screenshot you just posted. I gave them articles about how to interpret plates where the HAT is circled in the red in the profile view of the plate.

They still can’t follow me. They’re just stuck in the belief that HAT is used to describe your various aircraft’s various altitudes at any given point in space. They just don’t seem to grasp that (per approach each individual approach), HAT is a single, fixed (charted) number that doesn’t change with aircraft altitude.

So just to be clear…

You’re agreeing with me that they’re using HAT incorrectly, yes?