PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2021, 21:16
IsDon01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SixDemonBag
I thought I heard the figure of 100, thrown around.
To be honest, I don’t think anyone knows.

Ill put this out there though.

Two years ago we were recruiting at a very high rate. Then covid happened and everything stopped.
Since then we’ve had a reduction in numbers on the 747 and announced that two of the A380s of the 12 we originally had won’t be returning.
To balance that we ran a VR process and by the movement in the seniority numbers of those of us left I reckon about 260 took the package and left.
Recent announcements indicate the A380 will be returning way earlier than anyone predicted and we’ll be taking delivery of the next three 787s as soon as we can get our hands on them.

I’m on the 787 and we’ve been told to expect to be very busy in the short and medium term.

I’ve been involved in numerous reductions in numbers processes personally and the only constant in every one is that Qantas has massively overshot the amount of people they have moved. My very strong suspicion is that they have done the same thing with the recent VR process.

Looking to the short and medium term future is the arrival of three 787s and the A350 is still firmly on the table. In fact I’ve heard from various sources that the point to point flying is even more important post covid given the complexities around borders we’ve all experienced through covid. Flying point to point is vastly more desirable now than it has ever been.

I fully expect that this recruitment announcement will just be the beginning and I expect we will continue to recruit for the foreseeable future in similar numbers we were pre-covid.Tempering that somewhat will be training capacity. The moronic decision to close the Sydney training centre and send simulators to Melbourne and Brisbane will slow things down. Yet another penny wise pound foolish demonstration, as if any more were needed.

Of course any recruitment in Qantas will also have immediate effect on the recruitment of Qlink, Network and JQ as people move to mainline from within the group.