PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 29th Oct 2021, 09:35
wiggy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaman
A touch off topic, & not directed at you, Wiggy, or Pilotmike, but I wince a bit at the "just stick back, houses get smaller..." nonchalance with which professional flying, or indeed any complex skill set, is sometimes described by those within it. I appreciate the mindset behind it is well intended, but it really undersells how much effort goes in to attaining & maintaining those skills. It only seems easy to the speaker because they've attained that level of competence: pretending it's easy to those who don't have that experience, perhaps so as not to appear too far up ones own rear end, undermines the profession, for me. I speak as one who's guilty of doing exactly that...until a more worldly wise colleague pointed out the downside.
You’re not wrong…comments along the lines of “nothing to it really”, an expression much beloved by some senior captains in the days of flight deck visits by passengers, did us no favours at all….