PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Married quarters, the damning film.
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2021, 15:01
Ninthace

Received 927 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerk
Anyone remember being posted to Gernany in the 70's and finding the married pads being complete luxury compaired to he cr** in the UK ?
Especially if you got one that had been built for the German market rather than an on-base quarter.

Best quarter I ever had was at Innsworth which were bought off plan rather than designed to meet the parsimonious MoD requirement.

Worst quarter, hard to say but I would single out Halton for special mention, My first quarter in Halton had metal framed windows, no insulation and a spare front door in the lounge which should have been a window. It had an open fireplace that we were not allowed to light as no-one knew the state of the back boiler. Twenty years later I returned to Halton to find the same quarter now only had one front door, the fireplace issue had been resolved and it was double glazed. Unfortunately, the perks of a higher rank meant I was now allocated a much bigger version of first version, the only differences I recall were there was no spare front door and the open fire place now had a painted piece of hardboard in it. There may have been double glazing and it was impossible to keep warm but at least it didn't have fleas, which the first Halton quarter did.

My daughter has had some real doozies in her time though, far worse than any we had.