PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wifi connection locking up - Mint 18.3 laptop
Old 26th Oct 2021, 08:22
netstruggler

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rans6andrew
I installed Linux Mint 18.3 onto an old laptop PC which had some serious issues with the original Win OS, I forget which version, the machine was gifted to me to play with. The installation went smoothly and, after increasing the ram to 4GB ran acceptably if not blindingly quickly. In use it wakes up and runs as expected, logging onto any of our Wifi routers and happily running Firefox but, after some time it loses the Wifi link. Hovering over the Wifi icon in the task bar shows the Wifi signal strength high, sometimes higher than it is when it is working, sometimes up at 100%. When working normally the signal strength is typically 85%. When it locks out the machine's other functions seem to be OK and if the ethernet cable is connected to the router, the internet browsing is resumed. The Wifi connection can only be restored by rebooting the whole machine, nudging the network connections by changing which router to connect wirelessly doesn't force reconnection. Refreshing the available routers list doesn't work. The problem occurs on 2.4GHz and 5Ghz Wifi connections.

Is there an easy way to determine if the problem is in the hardware or in the driver software? I didn't use the machine before the OS change so have no idea if the machine lost the Wifi before.

Thanks,

Rans6....................
Generally I do:

Step 1 On Linux run ifconfig in a terminal shell (ipconfig in a command shell in Windows land) to see if the WiFi interface is still up and has plausible settings.
Step 2 ping your WiFi router to see if you have a link as far as the router
Step 3 ping an external IP address directly (for example 8.8.4.4) to see if you have a link to the internet
Step 4 ping a hostname (for example www.bbc.com) to see if your DNS configuration is working.

Further steps depend on how far you get with the above.

When using WiFi do you disable the wired Ethernet adaptor? You shouldn't need to, but I've known it make a difference.

HTH