PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Murray/Bodill Round the World
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2003, 04:59
Pilotage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't these obviously overly wealthy old people just stay at home and leave the flying to the professionals.
I don't know Jennifer Murray to speak to (although at 63 she may be a grandmother, but is hardly geriatric), but I do know Colin Bodill. He's run his own flying school for some years, which he started with one pilot (himself) and one aeroplane - he's taught many hundreds of PPLs and presumably a few commercial pilots too and so far as I know all his "fortune" is from that and some sponsorship for the expedition. I'd guess that he's probably got somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 hours.

Presumably given that, and the fact that he's previously flown solo around the world (albeit following JM's R44), and separately from UK to Australia in a microlight, means that he can reasonably be considered a competent professional. Given that he is, I assume he hasn't chosen to fly with somebody with significantly lower standards.

And what, pray, would be the point of hiring somebody else to go on an expedition for you?

P