PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 24th Oct 2021, 17:17
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonzarno
How would Mr Sala have known whatever register the aircraft was under? It was the pilot who broke the rules.
That is the the problem Jon. When you get it to a taxi you assume it is a registered taxi. However with the likes of Uber there is little or no control on who is driving and if indeed they have a UK licence.

No doubt in this case the deceased pilot was wearing four bars but a Malibu is still a single engine aircraft whereas very few commercial operations are run with only one avgas power plant. How was Sala expected to know this? People tend to take things on trust.

Had I been in Ibbotson's position I would have informed Sala I was departing lunchtime to pick up fuel in the Channel Islands and landed back at Cardiff before nightfall. Personally I have flown that route many times with my family thirty years ago but usually night stopped in Guernsey or Jersey. I have also flown it at night in a single engine aircraft decades ago, with a valid night rating, decades ago but would never take such a risk now.

Of course the decision is easy when you own the aircraft and are not pushed for time.

Working as a paid pilot is different as you are little more than a chauffeur and unlikely to upset the client.

An example of this mentality here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-35292292

The crew and client died because they were forced to take of when most of us would have left it until another day.

This case will have long reaching repercussions for GA. The insurance issues will no doubt run to millions and substantial litigation. I would not want to be party to these unless protected by a limited company.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 24th Oct 2021 at 17:28.