PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing pilot involved in Max testing is indicted in Texas
Old 24th Oct 2021, 16:51
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
I would suggest that from a practical matter the Boeing corporate culture was set by the C suite. It prioritized and incentivized fast and cheap over safe and good at every step. Again as a practical matter saying that Mr. Forkner was a rogue actor solely responsible for the MAX tragedy is laughable. However Mr Forkner's liability from a legal stand point is a whole different matter and one on which several other posters are much more qualified to comment on than myself. It would be very unfortunate if Mr Forkner was the fall guy and the senior management who were the true enablers of the broken Boeing system that produced the MAX, got off.

As an aside any lingering hope that Boeing learned the lessons from MAX and were making substantive change disappeared for me, at least, when they hid an uncommanded pitch down event on a 777X test flight. This only came to light after a FAA review of flight test raw data 7 months later. This review would not have been done except for the enhanced FAA scrutiny resulting from the lack of Boeing transparency on the MAX. The fact that anybody at Boeing though it was a good idea to hide an uncommented pitch down event after the MAX fiasco speaks volumes about the current corporate culture at Boeing......

Finally the lesson for everybody is take care what you say on any e-mail you send, it could come back to haunt you.......