PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2021, 05:23
Potsie Weber

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
I don't think so in the slightest. You reap what you sow, and for such a large percentage of the WA population to vote for McGowan on the basis of his state border policies to the detriment of the rest of the country, to me, says they deserve everything that comes their way.

How many hundreds of thousands of people have suffered as a result of WA's border policies? As a result of Queensland's? Take a look at the hundreds of media reports about people being detained in hotel quarantine while their parent dies only a mile or two away, parents being told they cannot enter the hospital to see their child undergoing critical treatment as they're from NSW and an unelected official declared an entire state a Covid Hotspot or health staff being told they'll not be allowed to leave their home if they go to work across the border as they'll need to quarantine (endlessly) on their return. So no, I don't think wishing ill will on a state that does that is out of line - for the simple reason they have done it to everyone else - and keep right on doing it!

You need to stop focussing on Rio Tinto and consider the broader context, I used Rio as they were the first ones out of the gate to complain about the worker shortage. Fast forward a few days and BHP did the same, yet you've not commented on them at all. Or the cafe's who are short of chefs, the c0ckies who need workers for the harvest or the pubs up north who don't have backpackers pulling beers.
Whilst strong borders were McGowan’s election mantra, it was the absolute lack of any alternative that saw the landslide. The Libs were an embarrassment, so much so, even there most diehard liberal supporters could not vote for them. It was the most one sided election ever, with the libs left begging for sympathy votes as their main policy. If you believe it was all McGowan and his borders that got the landslide, you are simply stoking his inflated ego.