PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 23:34
KRviator

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Criticise actions of governments all you want, but wishing the people of a place to suffer to prove a point is a bit demented.....
I don't think so in the slightest. You reap what you sow, and for such a large percentage of the WA population to vote for McGowan on the basis of his state border policies to the detriment of the rest of the country, to me, says they deserve everything that comes their way.

How many hundreds of thousands of people have suffered as a result of WA's border policies? As a result of Queensland's? Take a look at the hundreds of media reports about people being detained in hotel quarantine while their parent dies only a mile or two away, parents being told they cannot enter the hospital to see their child undergoing critical treatment as they're from NSW and an unelected official declared an entire state a Covid Hotspot or health staff being told they'll not be allowed to leave their home if they go to work across the border as they'll need to quarantine (endlessly) on their return. So no, I don't think wishing ill will on a state that does that is out of line - for the simple reason they have done it to everyone else - and keep right on doing it!

Originally Posted by 43I
While there is some squeeze on workforce, most is of Rios creation with the move to more contracted work (2016) in lieu of full time in house due to 'volatile ore prices'. There is also a major weather event thrown in which disrupted ports and and operations during the period. Rio is also operating at close to maximum capacity anyway until Koodaideri comes on line, which is fairly soon, that will add another 40 MgT of ore capability.
You need to stop focussing on Rio Tinto and consider the broader context, I used Rio as they were the first ones out of the gate to complain about the worker shortage. Fast forward a few days and BHP did the same, yet you've not commented on them at all. Or the cafe's who are short of chefs, the c0ckies who need workers for the harvest or the pubs up north who don't have backpackers pulling beers.