PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 18:22
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The key point to this tragedy and the trial is it illustrates way the Civil Aviation Authority are not capable of controlling the aviation run under flags of convenience , aircraft trusts and lax CAA controls. The American aircraft register is akin to a shipping operator basing his vessels in Liberia.

UK airlines run under the G register while at the bottom end of private aircraft operations there is the Light Aircraft Association. In between there is general aviation where most operators adhere to the increased UK regulations which are above the US register. In most countries in the world there are limitations on how long a foreign registered aircraft can remain locally. In the case of the American N register many wholly owned and operated aircraft exist in the UK without the pilot, operating body or aircraft ever returning to the USA.

This loophole needs to be closed. Many of the horse racing fraternity have used the N register for decades exploiting hour builders who will fly what should be regulated public transport operations on little more than a private pilots licence.

This of course is what we are seeing in the Sala case. When he boarded that Malibu in Nantes he was unaware the pilot only had a PPL and the aircraft was not operating under commercial regulations. There were plenty of legitimate UK air transport companies who could have moved him safely and without risk. However they have to charge more as they stick to the rules and employ qualified pilots. Sadly as we are seeing when things go wrong everyone passes the buck.

My view on all this is if you cannot afford to operate and fly your UK based aircraft on the British register then perhaps you should consider if it is a time to downsize.There is also the issue of UK insurance companies covering these out of country operations.

I have already made my views known to my MP in Norfolk and I sincerely hope the N reg loopholes can be closed.