PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reflections on the appointment of a new CASA PMO
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 08:32
Sandy Reith

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Pilot health

Originally Posted by ramble on
Just quietly I reckon the major causal factor for a medical event in pilots - coronary, stroke, incapacitation, depression, sleeplessness, fatigue or just a good long bout of tourettes - is brought on by trying to understand CASAs Australian aviation regulations.....AVMED has a captive clientelle.

Australian version of Catch22.
To Ramble On’s list of contributing factors to pilot’s health problems twelve months between medical examinations is not long at all. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels the stress building as one approaches each annual AVMED contest.

If these exams were efficacious few would grumble, but we know the whole process is a charade.

A make work system that was born out of military selection (too many applicants for cushy and glamorous flying service) and survived by dint of habit, money, inertia, bureaucratic control and ego. As one senior pilot put the case you don’t need physical strength these days, a pulse is the main criterion.