PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky SB-1 flies for first time
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 06:13
Commando Cody

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by casper64
The range I understand. A bit faster as well say 160-170 KIAS at sea level. But without compromise to agility and surviveability of current platforms… and without crazy costs…simply cannot imagine that either defiant or valor is fulfilling those criteria. To my opinion only a “traditional” helicopter can fulfill that. But we will see in 20-30 years how it played out 👍
The Marines announced the program to replace UH-1Y/AH-1Z is called Aura. It will be more expensive and later than FLRAA. Among the requirements originally announced were a maximum continuous cruise speed of 295kt (546km/h) at 90% maximum continuous power and 330kt indicated airspeed at 100% of intermediate-rated power. It needs to be able to work with Osprey and in some missions be faster. Also,an un-refueled combat radius of 450nm (833km), with a 30min loiter. They want two plots and two door gunners in the -1Y replacement, plus eight riflemen. They also want an attack version with high commonality, like they did with the -1Y/Z

A modified V-280 might be able to meet those requirements, but it's more likely we'd see a separate aircraft, using some Valor-derived technology. No way a conventional helo could meet the need and personally I doubt if an X2 vehicle could either.