PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to all the Spanish charter airlines ?
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 14:52
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
@rog747 : many thanks for you detailed story ! What a memory ! , yes they were ex Eastern , not United, I mixed the 2 up,
Would you have the similar story for Spantax.? I flew often in the jumpseat of the BX CV990s for many years when commuting to LPA and we had long discussions during the long afternoon flights with the newspaper taped on the windscreen to avoid the sun..
Same with TAE, "Trabajos" ,DC8s they were even more cowboy ops than BX but were far more lucky in terms of safety. I always wanted to write down some of the funny anecdotes I had with Spantax , including a belly landing in Cologne, but never went to it. The last accident they had ( the DC10 ) just before they folded left also a bad taste to it all ( Although the acceptance flight when they got it was a good story in itself !)

@WHBM : yes the CV990 belongs now to an association that want to restore it ( and repaint it) for static display somewhere more public.
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...-coronado.html
Unfortunately Covid put a temporary stop to it , but when tourists and money come back to the island I am sure they will continue..