PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2021, 09:38
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
To our Chaps and all our good friends here -
Sorry to bang on and have yet another reality check here again but none of those types of aircraft mentioned are simply not yet in the mix for SOU airports' expansion plans.
BA were unable to fill up (even selling tickets at rock bottom prices) on many of it's flights this summer on their newly launched summer sun routes -
Yes, we know it was a most difficult summer, but that sort of business model may not stand the test of time.
But I really do hope BA return to SOU for 2022 as I will like to use them again.

As an aside observation from our neighbours at BOH, Easy Jet's 3 new BOH domestic routes (using A320Neo's much of the time) to BFS EDI and LPL, will end next week with no winter schedule for them. I heard that some of these flights (not in high season though for EDI and BFS which were more than 80%) were running at 30% - sorry I cannot amplify that much further, save to say that some folk who flew, and who did use the routes to LPL and EDI all said they would have continued to do so, but sadly all flights end next week.
I too, was about to book to LPL and EDI for NOV but alas now not to be.

TUI have a 737-800 at BOH for winter 2021/2022 flying one rotation on just 5 days of the week to only ACE LPA and TFS, with no WEDS or SAT flights allocated as yet. (TUI at EXT is the same)
Ryanair also fly a 737 on the same 2 days a week BOH-TFS (TUE and FRI) as do TUI, which is almost 800 seats a week to sell.
Ryanair's fares from BOH are from £4.99 to most of their destinations, with LPA and TFS from £14.99 and £19.99.
There is no flight to Palma this winter at all with any airline from BOH nor EXT, until they restart end of MAR/APR 2022.

So that is the current state of play with SOU's neighbours that CAN take the bigger planes that many here lament to see lined up and parked at SOU....Not gonna happen.

I am pleased to see that the PP is hopefully now un-stalled to go-ahead at SOU, but will BOH and SOU continue, as mentioned here, to operate in a complimentary manner long into the future?
Well, BOH and SOU are TBH, like chalk and cheese...

Last edited by rog747; 21st Oct 2021 at 10:16.