PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire - USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 - 12 Jul 20
Old 20th Oct 2021, 19:21
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
I am amazed the RAF were still using the sump plugs in the Bulldog, most light stuff replace them with a quick push drain that is a permanent fit in the sump plug hole between overhauls. Though I do know of one failure, on retracts the push bit pulls off and is clipped to the firewall, one company fitting a new engine and with out thinking fitted a normal push drain as there is lots of clearance around the engine….. or there was until it took off retracted the gear and the leg pushed the drain open…. One forced landing later and another engine change..

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.

You mention the Station Commander can lose his job over an incident, it happens in civi street too, I believe I know of one case of an accountable manager who lost his as he was prosecuted following an incident, even though he didn’t even work on the same site, but couldn’t hold the position with a conviction.

It does appear all the holes sadly lined up and resulted in the loss of the ship.

​​​​​​…

Last edited by NutLoose; 20th Oct 2021 at 19:31.