PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2021, 17:37
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Navaleye
They were considered to be marginal for front line fixed wing ops and their somewhat large crew for a limited capability was not considered economic. Hence the CVS conversion for some. I don't think they would be very popular with the navy. USN crew accommodation was basic even by RN standards of the time.
I wonder why when a few jets were attached to the CVS conversions to protect the ASW aircraft, the US Navy opted for the A-4 Skyhawk, presumably controlled from the ship, instead of the F-8. Were ASW operations expected to take place in worse sea conditions - which might explain why a slower aircraft would be a better bet for carrier operations? Shame they never gave the A-4 any sort of radar.

Originally Posted by Navaleye
I've seen a pic of Hermes with a white USN F4 on deck which surprised me more than a little. Someone later pointed out that it was actually a touch and go. I can't imagine Hermes ever operating an F4 although an F18 might have been interesting.
Would Hermes with F/A-18 in 1982 been able to achieve the same sortie rate in the waters near the Falklands as she did with Sea Harrier/Harrier GR3? Would she still have been able to carry a full squadron of ASW Sea Kings?

Anyway - back to banging my head on the bulkhead. People read 'Carrier Strike' and think it means (ground) attack only! I have looked up the KURs for CVF/QEC, and there is no specific mention of ASW - or indeed Air Defence. However, this paper from a few years ago has an interesting definition of Carrier Enabled Power Projection:

Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers - Air Maritime Integration - Captain Nick Walker RN - August 2016

An integrated and sustainable joint capability, interoperable with NATO, that enables the projection of UK Carrier Strike and Littoral Manoeuvre power as well as delivering humanitarian assistance and defence diplomacy, enabling joint effect across the maritime, land and air environments at a time and place of political choosing.

Presumably this includes both Air Defence and ASW? The document also states that part of the C2 capability is to support ASW and that the magazine is designed for ASW weapons well as those for the jets.

Also - from page 14-3 of the US Naval Flight Surgeon's Manal - Third edition - 1991.

Six of the 15 currently commissioned carriers are CVN’s. All 15 support antisubmarine warfare (ASW) operations with at least one ASW helicopter squadron and a fixed wing ASW squadron aboard, as well as serving the more traditional roles of fleet air defense and attack missions (bombing). Most carrier air wings (CVW’s) are configured with nine squadrons and a detachment of photo reconnaissance aircraft. Carriers defend themselves with their speed (in excess of 28 knots), with missile batteries of surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles (point defense), and with the extended umbrella of carrier air wing fighters performing barrier or force combat air patrols (BARCAP and FORECAP) at some distance from the ship.

Configured as an attack ASW carrier, the various missions of the aircraft carrier become more apparent. Conceptually, the carrier encompasses both tactical and strategic defensive and offensive capabilities. Offensively, it can wage conventional or nuclear war or deter such warfare by its presence. It attracts military attention wherever it goes, thus diverting potential military offensive resources that could be employed elsewhere. It serves as an integrating vehicle for surface warships in company, aircraft deployed overhead, and attack submarines working below. Combining the advantages of each of the air, surface, and subsurface capabilities, threats can be neutralized quickly to both tactical and strategic advantage. This three-dimensional coverage for fleet offense and defense, coupled with modern electronic hardware and software technology, provides an unparalleled tactical and strategic capability.

Think how much communications and computer technology has advanced since 1991, and how low frequency active sonar has changed the frigate/ASW helicopter relationship.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 20th Oct 2021 at 21:10.