PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 14:53
VH-RME

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jester64
Just thought I’ll give an update. I received an offer from Commutair, for a January start. Very professional and a friendly bunch to deal with, and I’m accepting the offer.

Discussed the entire visa / flow thing to the majors. I can’t speak for the other regionals, but with CommutAir, they will take a non FAA-licensed Australian under the E-3 visa, and when you upgrade to left seat (as soon as you hit 1000 hours Part 121 for those that are coming in with experience) they will sponsor you for permanent residency via a green card (I believe this is called an EB-3 visa).

So you have the E-3 and the EB-3, quite similar in name but very different visas, hence maybe the confusion on here about being able to flow to a major on an E-3 (which is not possible).

So once you have your green card from CommutAir, you are then able to apply to United Airline’s Aviate program, which only guarantees you an interview, but if you are successful, you will flow based on seniority and a minimum service completed at CommutAir (which is taken from date of joining, not date of green card).

FYI they are under contract renegotiation, and can expect improvement in the hourly rate and other working conditions soon.

I think it’s a great opportunity for Australians.
Congrats mate. What was your experience level when you applied - right at FAA ATP minimums or quite a bit above it with previous jet time etc?