PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-WIZZ down 15/10/21
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2021, 23:09
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Great article! Thanks! That sure brings back memories. That was not one of the planes I positioned for him, as I remember the "hurricane". It made news here in Canada, and Bill phoned me a few days later anyway. I had spliced a rope bridal for his sailboat while moored in Bosham harbour. Bill's boat (being Canadian in origin) lacked the big bollard just forward of the mast. I remember the harbour master stopping along as I was splicing, and more or less saying that it would never hold. I explained the for the absence of the typical bollard, it was all I could do. The harbour master muttered, and continued along. Bill told me that his was one of very few boats which was not ripped from the mooring, and blown inland.

Bill had home "Super 8" movies of his ferrying the Hunters to India. Beautiful formation movie of his buddy flying a nice curved approach, flaps coming down, gear coming down, crossing the threshold, and nicely touching down to a gentle roll out and turn off. "Bill", I asked. "You took the movies?", "Yes", "well, who was flying?", "I was... I just stayed formed up on him, and did what he did.". He was an amazing pilot!

Sorry about the thread drift, but the Bell 206 seems handled, and I've been delighting in the memories!