PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you fly with expired ASIC?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2021, 11:28
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
I can't see why they can't be a one-off issue
I get you mean for other than regular users, but in general: I asked an OTS guy once why they had to be renewed every two years, or even if they were, why I had to continually submit the same ID documents over and over again. He said it's because people's circumstances change. It's all about maintaining a verifiable trail of "who you are or purport yourself to be in the community". They essentially treat every application as a new application. The other reason is that it is "owners onus" to report things to OTS that may render you no longer suitable to hold an ASIC. Since the fact that reporting that may lose you your job, there is an understandable reluctance for most people to report. They reckon every two years is sufficient time to make sure our criminal records haven't changed, and we just forgot to tell them about it. I said it seemed crazy that my current ASIC wasn't good enough to be considered as part of the ID requirements. He just smiled and said that just because you have an ASIC doesn't mean you should still have an ASIC.
It's their empire.