PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squawk Idents for Farnborough Radar, why?
Old 18th Oct 2021, 14:24
cpl4hire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense

Originally Posted by Topofthestack
Conditions for identifying aircraft are laid down for Air Traffic Controllers in the 'Manual of Air Traffic Control'

When I was controlling it was necessary to ask for an 'ident' when the selected squawk had not been verified by the initial unit handling the aircraft. For example, if a squawk had been given to an aircraft departing an airfield that didn't have SSR and couldn't ensure that the transponder was correctly set. It was the only way I could positively identify i was talking to the aircraft I was expecting, and that someone else had not accidentally selected the same squawk.
Well, that fits what is now happening at Blackbushe.
Originally all Departing Aircraft were given a Transponder code of 7010 with their Farnborough Clearance by Blackbushe AFIS. As soon as you contacted Farnborough Radar they gave you another Squawk (so they wouldn't ask you to Ident).
On the day in question I was given a different Squawk with my Farnborough Clearance by Blackbushe AFIS so Farnborough had to request an Ident on first contact.
I don't know if this new procedure is temporary or permanent, but it does seem to work well, cutting down Transponder code changes at critical times in flight (Arrivals and Departures) so a Squawk Ident is a small price to pay.

Thanks and regards,
cpl4hire