PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London City-4
Thread: London City-4
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2021, 17:21
WHBM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Went through this week for the first time in 18 months . Belfast and back.

All just so familiar. Two police, itchily pawing their sub-machine guns, glowering at me and trying to look tough, just inside the entrance. Ground floor though surprisingly empty, and most positions unstaffed. Up at security, just one lane staffed, although there were a fair number coming through, so still a queue. As ever at LCY, security staff pleasant and professional, unlike elsewhere, they presumably were furloughed for a while rather than let go and then replacements rehired. In the departure lounge it seems a bit rearranged, some concessions open, some closed up, though (as I have commented before) the retail space given over to jewellery and cosmetics, with absolutely nobody buying them, seems as ludicrous as ever. View out onto the apron now ruined by the huge baggage sorting shed built right in front of the windows - did it ever get used or has it been a useless fiasco ?

Gate 23, seating area far too small for an E190 (let alone the even bigger aircraft which are confined to the east side gates). In the usual way everyone was admitted at the top, to then stand swaying on the steep steps while they were not let out of the door at the bottom. Only the front aircraft entrance in use, and people being let through in batches to minimise queueing inside the aircraft, but instead they are all squashed together on the stairs inside. One day LCY are going to have a serious falling accident on these stairs, how it gets past a risk assessment goodness knows.

I saw that they were up to 50 scheduled departures on the day, which is pretty good going. BA seem to have become even more dominant than previously. With all the Mediterranean flights as well I do have to admire how BACF have managed their comeback. I guess there are hardly any aircraft left stored at Norwich now.

BACF on Belfast was 40% load outwards, pretty much 100% load on the return. Fare was much as before - in fact a bit more. In order to encourage people back - they have reduced the catering provision in Y, alcohol no longer given out. Now I may just be a simplistic marketing type, but for me you do not reduce your service provision when you are trying as never before to encourage customers back. BA likewise knocked me back from Silver to Bronze during the non-use, which is not what a lot of their competiitors have done, but it does mean that on my forthcoming New York trip I don't have the prior incentive to choose them any more. I know that internally BACF on Belfast is up against BA Mainline from Heathrow (no catering handed out at all), so dumbing down the provision really does send a negative message. For those who like to make out that refreshments are 'not necessary' on such flights, both out and return it was a quick run to Avis and a 2 hour drive to Co Fermanagh, the flight is the one chance to get something.

Belfast City was even more of a ghost environment than LCY, there was not a single catering/retail facility open landside on arrival.