PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Avoiding' high airport fees
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2021, 16:03
samatyranin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Avoiding' high airport fees

Hey, got question for ya guys. As I'm now building my flight hours. I wanted to spend those hours traveling across the Europe. I'm planning few shorter or longer trips for next summer season. And as you may know flight training is not that cheap so huge part of planning those trips is how to avoid high airport costs. I will be flying DA40 (Jet-A). And I've noticed that in Europe Jet-A is not that common as I initially thought. I mean for what I see on for example SkyDemon you can either land on cheap or even free flying club airstrips but then you usually have there AvGas or MoGas only or you go to those bigger airports to have Jet-A but then you usually have to pay for landing much more. And it's not just the landing fees that scares me the most. It's handling fees where you are not allowed to walk around on the apron without supervision. And those handling prices can sometimes be 2-5 times bigger than landing fees itself. I'm looking for some clues in Textual AIPs or any other way to cut handling fees (or avoid them at all) and be able to refuel Jet-A.

So I noticed that some of the AIPs tend to have 'O/R' or 'On request' phrase in handling section. And while only towered airport (outside of my homebase - EPPO) where I've been - EDAH - has handling times given there in AIP while after you land you're free to walk around without violating any rules. What does 'O/R' exactly means? Any other tips to look at? Or maybe internet sources?

Last edited by samatyranin; 17th Oct 2021 at 16:18. Reason: typos