PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing pilot involved in Max testing is indicted in Texas
Old 17th Oct 2021, 04:46
Rainier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tragic event becomes even more so

tdracer

From the initial days after the ET302 accident, I have felt such profound sorrow for the families of the victims on that airplane, primarily because there was never going to be a simple and concise explanation for the airplane to crash. There are so many points along the way where a decision was made which at the time would appear logical and based in fact but in hindsight was found to be the wrong decision. Those who work outside the business of airplane design and certification would have a difficult time understanding how such decisions which are based upon past practice and judgment might have been made. It is so much easier to blame "profits over safety". So much easier to place all the blame on the Technical Pilot, who was not told of the design change. It has been my fear that latching onto this simple narrative will keep the industry from identifying the real root causes of these accidents and thereby delay putting the processes in place so that we do not see a similar event in the future. This news from the 737 flight controls community, should it be true, only makes the 737Max tragedy worse. And so I feel sorrow for them as well as how does one come to closure on decisions that one has made that had such profound consequences.