PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird strike, Ryanair flight 2131 13 October 2021
Old 15th Oct 2021, 08:26
kwaiyai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about 8 years ago on approach to Langkawi Island Malaysia from Penang Island in A320 (I was PIC)
at about 1 mile we ingested in Left engine a Malaysian Eagle. I only knew on arrival as we were almost over threshold when I saw a large Bird
apparently close to the Wing area and on shutdown Engineer found remains, No engine prob's. Only problem caused was long delay. A few days later another A320 ingested one shortly after takeoff from penang that one set off N1 vibration warning so in flight return to Penang. I probably should say highly likely an eagle as they are common around these Islands and engineering found remains of a large Bird along with damaged engine Fan.The A320 family can do overweight landing but you
would do that for example with a severe failure or Fire requiring a landing ASAP, I am not rated on 737. It sounds like they had a birdstrike sometime after takeoff not involving an engine and MAYBE the Captains decision was to burn fuel to reduce weight as no need for immediate landing or maybe the hold was to discuss and make a decision. Had they seen a Bird hit the Windscreen as an example again? or heard a loud banging noise? somewhere after takeoff closer to Liverpool again as an example?
My 10 pence worth.