PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A UFO in the radalt?
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2021, 16:49
skridlov

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lest it be misunderstood, the program is predominantly nonsensical with a few interesting oddities. That said, Robert Bigelow spent a lot of money and 20 years investigating the place in conjunction with a US government department; as far as I know a summary of the investigation has never been published. Odd, that. My question is simply what kind of fault would explain a malfunction like this, previously not manifest and apparently non-reproduceable at other locations? I know plenty about the irritating nature of intermittent faults from substantial experience of technology in a number of fields and I'm interested to know if faults of this kind in radalts are familiar? I've seen plenty of idiotic misinterpretations in this series (the chief scientist has a doctorate in astrophysics and consults for NASA...) so I'd like to know if there's a likely terrestrial explanation other than "technology sometimes malfunctions": I've already figured that out.

Some of the measured anomalies involve extreme shifts in the terrestrial magnetic field and spikes in gamma radiation way above background. I was wondering if the radalt system was susceptible to those kind of variations. Assuming, of course, all the metering instruments involved (tri-field meters, radiation detectors, analogue and digital compasses, magnetometers etc) aren't also exhibiting random bugs.