PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Berlin Brandenburg
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2021, 05:54
zambonidriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well finally just been twice through the infamous new BER airport that is now finally operating.

I muss say I did not have my hopes very high and was not disappointed.

The place is huge and you have to walk (without almost any active assistance) 2km from car rental return to your boarding gate (really !). And, despite the place being massive, the gates themselves are tiny and overcrowded when disembarking and embarking a 320 (I’m sure a 380 is out of the question anyway but they might have larger gates for long haul flights ?). Even the old T5 had separate route for this and provided for better usability. Amazing. To the point that I hope they will indeed reopen said T5 for LLCs… Anyone know if this is still planed ?

And don’t get me started abut Tegel, where you could have the taxi literally drop you 20 meters from your boarding gate. Yes it had many quirks but still will remain forever the most efficient airport I ever travelled to. But I understand that Berlin needed a “trophy” airport, which, IMHO, it did not get, certainly not for the insane price they spent.

Any feedback from airside ? Is it working better than previous places ?