PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US sells carriers USS Kitty Hawk and John F Kennedy for 1 cent each
Old 14th Oct 2021, 02:16
Barksdale Boy

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm very sad to learn that the "Hawk" is to be scrapped. Of all the US carriers that I've been lucky enough to visit she was my favourite. I vividly remember once having lunch on board and because of a seating plan error I was sat next to Admiral Dennis Blair, undoubtedly one of the most impressive people I've ever met. We talked mainly about baseball (there was a players' strike on at the time) and cricket (he had been a Rhodes Scholar). I mentioned that I really liked the old-school feel of the wardroom. He replied that no captain would dare to change it and pointed to an old photograph on the wall as proof of this. He said, "Look who's sitting in the same seat as you". It was JFK - a huge thrill for me! The liberty boat taking us back to Hong Kong Island was late for some reason and the young ensign in command nervously blurted out a torrent of reasons for this, to which the admiral replied, "Just get me to Wanchai, son".