PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US sells carriers USS Kitty Hawk and John F Kennedy for 1 cent each
Old 13th Oct 2021, 19:18
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Video Mixdown
I know nothing of these matters, but I'm curious about whether it'd be possible or desirable to reactivate the systems needed for rudder control, and if it'd be considered safe for anyone to be aboard to steer.
I can answer that question. Steering is controlled from the bridge via an antique looking ship's wheel that sends an electronic signal to a pair of massive hydraulic rams for each of the two rudders. The Bridge is the 09 level - nine floors above the hangar bay. After Steering is three decks below the hangar bay in the very aft most end of the ship.

I was on the bridge as Junior Officer of the Deck (Conning Officer) once during underway replenishment operations when steering failed. Rather than an emergency breakaway we remained along side, and I ran from the bridge to after steering, sliding down the ladders like a movie and yelling at people to get out of my way. We switched control of steering from the Bridge to a small trick wheel in after steering. The helmsman then simply used the gyro compass to steer. Was rather exciting.

In after steering, there's a large chain mechanism that can be used to manually position the rudders. This would not work for steering purposes as it is far, far too slow. The hydraulic system was electrically powered.

We used double hearing protection in after steering - foam ear plugs and "mouse ears."

Mixdown - maybe more than your asked for