PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teesside-2
Thread: Teesside-2
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2021, 16:42
gdiddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WizzAir would make an excellent addition to Teesside, especially if they customise the timetable to the UK leisure traveller, like they have done with the base that is due to open at Cardiff... However I don't see them opening a base there anytime soon, but a few routes from their European bases for example in Warsaw, Krakow and Budapest could possibly happen?

WizzAir were expanding at a crazy rate in the UK last year, but I think they got their fingers burnt with the UK lockdown, and while travel was allowed within Europe earlier this year, the UK was late to the party and many existing routes from their other UK airports are only now just re-opening.

Also the Cardiff base was due to open in April this year and has been put back to summer 2022.

The airline seems very keen to expand its new base at Gatwick as/when slots brcome available, and I also read somewhere (it could however be rumours), they had applied for slots at Manchester and additional ones at Birmingham. So they seem to have a lot cooking in the UK, so think WizzAir at Teesside if it ever happens, will be some time away.

Airlines like WizzAir will also drive an extremely hard bargain to get them to fly from Teesside, and it all depends if the airport would be willing to lower the fees to what they would demand.

The airline is also extremely ruthless, if routes do not achieve the bookings they demand, they will not hesitate to pull a route or withdraw from an airport at a moments notice. They are the kind of airline that will not gradually ramp up growth, they expect full aircraft from the word go!