PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 12th Oct 2021, 21:28
WhatShouldIDo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When To Start

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if people could give their opinions/advice on the situation I am in regarding when to start training.

I am currently in the middle of the second year of a three-year undergraduate course (non-aviation) which I started in 2020 instead of starting my integrated ATPL at a large ATO in the UK due to COVID-19 and wanting to see what the future held for the industry before committing.

I personally feel that since then the global outlook for aviation has improved significantly, especially the last few weeks with a number of countries that have had very strict border controls deciding to loosen them significantly, I also have seen that the recovery is following the eurocontrol most optimistic scenario with 2019 levels being reached in 2023 or 2024 and finally I know that all of the British Airways new hire cabin crew hold pool have been offered start dates in spring 2022 which again is a very good sign.

I have been thinking a lot about all of this and obviously I would rather be at the front end of a hiring wave than the back so was considering deferring my final year of university to start training, then finish my degree at a later date when I am done, this way I can take advantage of any potential hiring boom and still have completed university, is this a good idea or am I being overly optimistic?

Looking forward to reading your responses.