PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some truth about the ML incident
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2003, 15:05
bush pelican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Get Real

PLENTY OF DRIVEL AND DOUBLE STANDARDS HERE.

The NAS is a pup, but with commonsense, decency and cooperation we can help it to work, ( what is the alternative? )

Consider the following.

How many VFR aircraft in class E will have non functioning transponders from either faults or finger problems? How many VFR aircraft in class E , either cruising or climbing / descending above 10 000ft ( where +250knts permitted ) will have transponder problems..... I'll bet stuff all, and even this infinitesimal no. will decrease with greater awareness.

How hard is it for a controller to say to a 73 " unverified traffic 10nm ahead 12 O'clock "? ( and even " altitude unknown" ) How hard is it for the superior being at the pointy end to then diverge 5 or 10 degrees for a few seconds till the traffic is sighted or passed? This happens many times a day in the US.

Don't give me the " it's not the controllers job " crap either. It's everybody's job to maintain and contribute to safety. C O M M O N S E N S E. The VFR had every-right to be where he was and it's not ' his job ' either, to be somewhere else if you want to persue that logic.

It disgusts me to see the no of jabs and insinuations made at this ' inferior pilot ' ( Chief galah and others ) As an ex military guy he has been through training to a competency level most of you blokes could only dream about. He did nothing wrong and the point he was making was that under the rules, and in his opinion thing worked out and were resolved satisfactorily. Sure, experience will help him fine tune future actions but that is normal given the rate of change and new circumstances.

If you think this incident is an exception, think again. I have 20k hours. I fly a Navajo. I fly in the flight levels. I fly mainly VFR. I always plan via IFR routes if possible. I usually submit an IFR formulated flight plan but lodge VFR to save money if conditions are suitable, ( unlike you prima donnas with someone else to pay the bill on a sky clear day ). If required, the plan is in the system so there will be no delays if a change of category is required. I monitor the correct frequencies ( now made a damm side harder with them and boundaries being removed from the charts ) I will be listening and looking out for you and I hope you will be doing likewise.

I notice an insinuation from some posting whom I assume to be ATC that they will give the run around to anyone they feel doesn't fit into their cosy world of expectations. You should know boys that that behaviour will not be tolerated and as well as getting a serve over the airwaves you will be filling out a lot of paperwork and maybe even getting some legal ' please explains '

Stop bitching and change your procedures and habits to live with the realities as they now exist.

I think like most involved that there has been a significant dilution of the ' safety ' environment that we perceived existed prior to NAS. However how this actually reveals it's self or whether it is even significant will only be shown over time. The emphasis on changing pilot behaviour and expectations, and transponder use may completely mitigate the changes.

One effect on me will be to fit one of the new ' cheapy ' TCAS systems. I may also request a transponder check from ATC when approaching busier areas. You can be sure that I will also be listening and talking to you if the need arises.

Safe Flying. BP

Last edited by bush pelican; 20th Dec 2003 at 16:42.