PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2021, 06:32
KRviator

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Fonz121
November 1st looks like a goer.
But only in and out of the East Coast it seems...

Westyrannical Australia appears to be quite happy to stay in their Covid-Zero bubble.

Western Australia could remain closed for months after the international border ban is lifted but Premier Mark McGowan says it’s not a “big problem”.

Asked what he thought about the possibility of most Australians being able to fly to Paris but not Perth during a Friday press conference, Mr McGowan said: “I don’t think that is a big problem. Western Australia will open up internationally at some point in time and it’s probably just a difference of months between us and other states, in particular Victoria and NSW,” he said.

“If that means in the interim we don’t have mass deaths, we don’t have huge dislocation in our economy, we don’t have lots of people losing their jobs, well then I think the choice is clear. “We wait till it’s safe.”
Then there's
But the WA Premier confirmed his expectation the reopening date would be “sometime next year” and claimed initially international travel would be a “NSW thing”. It’s really a NSW thing at this point in time,” he said. “I think the view is that if people from NSW want to fly overseas and come back they’re really not adding to the risk because NSW is highly infected.”

Mr McGowan said international travel was unlikely to change the risk profile in NSW which is currently in the middle of a major Delta outbreak of the virus. Source
Of course, then there's this pearler:
Speaking on Friday afternoon, McGowan said people could fly to Sydney and then out of the country when the international travel ban lifts - but they may not be allowed back into Western Australia.

“My advice would be don’t do that unless you want to spend a lot of time in Paris or NSW,” he said. Source
Nothing like being able to fly home from Paris, but not continue on to Perth...