PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any of you europeans fly in US?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2003, 11:30
ArcherII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its easier done than said ! If you have 100hrs Multi time (which is why you end up with 600hrs multi in the courses I was going on about) then they position you as P2 in a multi pilot turbine a/c for the remaining 500 hrs. If you work it out, you end up paying something like $30 per hour for each turbine hour. The only requirement is to have FAA CPL/IR and 100hrs ME time, which you get from your course anyhow. They provide your visa, you're training, so a student and not getting paid for it remember.
What courses are you referring to englishall? Are you talking about FAA pro pilot programs where you PAY to get put in the right see of a turbine airplane? Like Gulfstream Academy? Where you pay to get put in the right seat of the 1900? That's not looked upon good by airlines and corporate employers. Paying for right seat multi turbine is not even near the value of earning the right seat and getting paid to work as an FO.

Many will look down upon pilots who pay for their right seat positions. But it might be good for foreign people who can't easily get a work visa in the US.

Is this becasue they get the FAA ratings first and then convert? How much do they charge? FAA instruction runs about $35 per hour, PPL, CPL, ME, IR etc.....

6 grand for an FAA to JAA conversion is money for old ropes, if that doesn't include the IR (unless it does of course). The JAA IR cannot be done anywhere other than in a JAA member state, so I don't know how somewhere in Florida could do an IR. Theoretically an FAA CPL holder is excempt from a formal JAA course, its just training as required. The cost to convert FAA CPL/IR to JAA fATPL at a well known school in Southern England runs at about £7,000 for the lot excl. exams, which seems reasonable considering £170/hr for the aircraft (£55/hr instruction).
No, these schols train you for JAA...and offer you the option of having the FAA with no additional cost (basically promoting you to have both licences). The school I talk of specifically is IFTA.

The JAA IR is offered by these Florida schools...many advise that you complete some of the training in UK airspace...but most of the IR is done in US airspace.