PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will we always be wearing masks on aircraft now?
Old 8th Oct 2021, 01:47
m0nkfish

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by metrognomicon
Having flown between the US coasts a number of times this year, it has become routine with masks. Wearing a mask is considerate of others and protective of myself, and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I actually double mask with a proper N95 under a nicely fitted cloth over-ear, and I don't eat or drink on the plane. The flight is actually the easy part - layovers and delays at the airport when unable to get fresh air really suck.

A few airports have outdoor terraces and it's much nicer to be there eating and drinking takeout and lounging than in the crowded club. If masks stick around forever I hope building outdoor areas on the secure side become a priority for airports, particularly the clubs.
You've swallowed the government propaganda pill, well done! Wearing the correct mask properly will have an impact on COVID transmissions, if you are a carrier. It offers only very limited protection against infection because the virus will enter through other areas like the eyes. This is the reason that medical staff in COVID wards are wearing something more akin to full PPE and not just a paper N95 mask.

Most people are either not wearing the correct type of mask, wearing it incorrectly or, usually, both. A face mask will offer next to zero chance of protection if, for example, you wear it over a beard. The mask must be covering the mouth and the nose, so many people slip the mask down from their nose so they can breath easier. N95 masks are single use only and stop working when they get wet. They should be replaced every time they are removed including when you remove them to eat/drink on an aircraft. Many cloth masks are not N95 rated meaning they are providing absolutely no protection from COVID. If you see a mask with an outflow valve, it will not be protecting anyone else except the user (assuming they are wearing it correctly, it has the correct rating, etc).

In a medical setting, where people are using the correct equipment and have been trained in how to wear it, masks can have an impact. But in the general population they are not effective in stopping transmission. Governments use them to control the behaviour of the population. It sends a subliminal message that there is a threat and everyone must comply and we are all in this together. It is time people woke up to the threat much bigger than COVID, the incredible draconian measures and policies that Western governments are taking and the use of fear to intimidate and manipulate the populace to freely hand over control and freedom.

I know several anti-vaccine people and the last thing they would want anyone to do is wear a mask to protect them. The one thing I share in common with them is that we are both absolutely sick and tired of this COVID nonsense. And it is exactly that now, nonsense that needs to go away. I've lost more friends and colleagues to mental health and acute/chronic conditions that were not treated because of COVID. I've got many friends who have lost their jobs because of the lockdowns and my kids are now far behind where they should be with their education and most of us will be suffering the economic consequences of this for many years to come. The vaccines have made this no worse than the flu, it is long past the point where we should all collectively take our masks off and demand that we have our freedom back. If we don't, we will loose it for a very long time, if not forever.