PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to get A321 NEO
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2021, 11:07
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ANCDU
I think with economies of scale and the ability to shift airframes between entities as required as per Jetstar and Network, coupled with the ULA cargo loading, reduced ground handling costs and crews being able to do the load calculations I think the 737 days in Qantas colours might unfortunately me numbered ( as a tear drops from my eye!)

I think the only real question will be does short haul mainline survive or does the domestic fleet become “link” with the associated flying done under an entity, leaving long haul the only mainline brand ??
I don't see QF ever allowing Tech Crew to do the Loadsheet. One of the advantages of the way it is done now on mainline is that the Crew are checking someone else's work - the system is too embedded with Altea FM down to a point now where the system is customised with very, very standardised planning and production, for those who knew the old QF ALP Load Control system, FM has something akin to the 'monitor control' in the old system which automated routine W/B functions but FM goes a lot further by taking it down to individual flight/day characteristics. Hence, the LC process is more secure with the Central LC folks doing it and the Captain signing it.

I don't see that changing in Mainline either, even with the A320neo if it ends up becoming the aircraft of choice - the ULD capability will virtually eliminate injuries on the ramp and make for quicker turnarounds. As long as they don't do the egregiously DUMB Ansett act of paying to have the ULD systems removed.