PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus + Cathay working on Single Pilot during Cruise with A350
Old 7th Oct 2021, 09:52
Uplinker

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by FMS82
I.............Every second post is ranting about single pilot operations (and lack of redundancy) or even full autonomous flight.......
Not ranting, but concerned about safety.

So the single pilot is there in the cruise over the middle of the ocean and the other pilot is in the bunk 45 minutes into deep sleep.......Suddenly an engine fire warning sounds. What does the single pilot do? Shut down the on-fire engine without any cross checking of which engine, which fire push-button, which engine master switch etc. Or wait until the other pilot - who presumably has a CRC and Master warning light above their bunk, is shocked into opening their eyes and stumbles groggily towards the cockpit, waits for the single pilot to check and unlock the door, then sits down and tries to wake up and make sense of what is happening - and only then can the on-fire engine be cross checked and shut down. Surely there would need to be some extra automation to cope with that, (and ditto for a major decompression).

.......like those first glass cockpits (767, 757, 744, A320/30/40) with insanely unreliable and limited technology.
my bold.

Errr, what ? Can't speak for Boeings, but think I remember just a single duff display unit in about 15 years of flying Airbus FBW glass cockpit, and some older ones could be a bit dim in bright sunlight. Those displays and the whole cockpit are a really good example of an extremely well designed, clear and well functioning suit of equipment.