PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Feeders
Thread: Aircrew Feeders
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2021, 09:32
Mogwi

Received 379 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Bricks
Mogwi - 365 was mutton. They would never kill a sheep until it was old and bald, although the family I was billeted with in Stanley did once have lamb, but only because it had been run over. The 365 man used to stop his van outside the house and open the back, which was stuffed, floor to ceiling, with quarters of mutton. In the afternoon you would see the same man with the same van, the inside piled with peat. I don't think that anything was washed out in between. We did once have an Upland Goose that had been shot by an RAF Regt officer with an SMG - there's style!

Old Bricks
You are, of course, correct OB! Must brush up on my hoggets/lamb/mutton definitions. Talking of the ubiquitous upland geese, Sid’s team at the Port Sam Carlos harrier strip (HMS Sheathbill) were forced to use full metal jackets to clear the tin strip of geese before we could slip the surly bonds on a number of occasions. Said geese were then placed in the SHAR back hatches (all done Sir; 5000 lbs of gas, 2 Limas, 240 rounds of HE and 3 geese.). These were then removed on return to Hermes and processed suitably, only reappearing on the way north as the main course of our victory dinner - superseded by a sweet course of broccoli ice cream!

Kids today, they wouldn’t believe you!

Mog